Movie Obsession




For as long as I can remember Orlando has loved watching movies. He would watch them so many times even I know them word for word. When he was about 2 he started to act out full scenes from movies it actually took us a while to figure out that’s what he was doing because he had no words.

It started with the animated movies and he would make sounds that he had heard from movies then it progressed over time. He eventually spoke and he now puts lines from movies into his everyday life. He also likes to make us into a family from one of the movies he loves, last holiday we were the family from Hotel Transylvania 3 and I got to be Captain Erica and Tony was Count Dracula. The holiday before we were the Madagascar family and I was Gloria and Tony was Melman (I was not impressed to be a giant hippo LOL). We play games were we sing theme songs from movies and he has to guess the movie, he never misses a beat. We drive along in the car and he hears a song on the radio and can tell me what movie it’s from and what scene it was in.

Last year I saw the movie Life Animated it is amazing movie about an autistic boy who learnt to communicate with the world through Disney movies. I loved the film and would highly recommend it to anyone. I could relate to some of the things in the story because of Orlando’s fascination with movies. I also noticed in the movie that Owen created a movie group where he and his friends would watch a movie and then discuss the characters, what they thought the movie was about and what message the movie was trying to get across.

 Last month we started our own movie group “Treehouse Movie Group”, at the moment it is a group that I share information on about upcoming movie events for sensory friendly sessions. The cinema keeps the lights on and turns the sound down and the kids are able to get up and move about if they’re having trouble sitting still. So far it has been a great experience for Orlando he has really enjoyed commentating the movies out loud and loves to ask questions about what is going on. I look forward to its future with the hope that it will turn into discussion about characters and a deeper meaning in the movie. I love a good animated movie and the growth mindset messages!

If you’d like to know more about our movie group please message me

Thanks for reading

Jess
xx

Comments